Saturday, January 25, 2014

Fwd: 25 January 2014

Alright so I have like two weeks to tell you guys about! Good thing I took notes. 

First of all, last week we did two exchanges. I went to Bedford and Northampton. My day back in Bedford was the best thing EVER! It was seriously one of the happiest days of my life. I loved getting to see the people I worked with there and seeing how much they have progressed in their life. I went for hot chocolate with Lesley, a less active we visited a lot while I was there. She is doing so great, I have missed her! We also went to the Hazell's house. James has the priesthood and he is on the YM presidency! So great! They are way on track to go to the temple in July, and I'm so excited that I might get to go with them! I also got to catch up with Gabriel, one of my favorite investigators ever. He moved away shortly after I did, but I guess he moved back after Christmas, so I got his new number from a member that has stayed FB friends with him and called him up. He met us at the train station before we switched back, and he totally wants to get back on track to get baptised as soon as he can! Which at the moment is March, because that is when his contract with the church he works for ends. So good.  I didn't get to ride my bike though, sadly. I reallly really wanted to. But the sisters there now don't use the bikes because they don't like them. Bummer. 

So the next day I was in Northampton. We did a lot of finding, but it was still fun. Except I got a ridiculously bad headache. Not sure if it qualifies as a migraine, but it was the worst headache I've ever had and I have no idea why I got it. But it slowed us down a bit. That's ok, I recovered quickly after getting a blessing. 

But when I got back with Sister Hymas the next day, her throat was starting to get sore and she wasn't feeling well at all. That escalated quickly. She has been sick for about a week now. Last week was super rough for her, especially Friday-Monday she pretty much didn't have a voice. I felt so bad for her. I did as much as I could, but I felt a little helpless not being able to do more for her. Doctors don't really give antibiotics here unless you are dying, so no help there. We tried a lot of remedies. I kinda had to force her to rest for about three days. She is a great missionary and a really hard worker, so I think she was a little frustrated with the fact that she couldn't talk or really do any work. So we were in our flat basically all weekend and I just called every number in the area book and my phone.  Which worked out beautifully, we set up a lot of appointments for when Sister Hymas felt well enough to teach. She is better now, though! I think she still has a sore throat, but she's trying to hide it. She's a trooper. I absolutely love her. 

On Saturday, an 8 year old African kid in our ward got baptised. It was a really good service. Right after the service, however, our chapel turned into the cultural hall and it was very....cultural. It just devolved into a huge party. Like there was a huge feast of African food, and someone brought a big sound system and they blasted dance music so loud that we couldn't hold a conversation, and everyone was dancing. It was hilarious and brilliant. I was just like wow is this really happening? Like I said, I love Africans. I've never been to a better baptism/birthday celebration. Also, in true Nigerian fashion, the boy being baptised showed up at 4:50 when the service was meant to start at 4. 
 
So on Wednesday we had a big mission leadership council. All the district leaders, zone leaders, and sister training leaders were there. I know I've mentioned the gap before, right? The 2 minute teaching drills we do 4 times a day so that we can know the doctrine well when we teach? Yeah that. So at every mission meeting, two missionaries are chosen to do a gap in front of everyone. Guess who had to do it in front of every mission leader in the ELM? Yeah.......that would be me. Great.  It was terrifying. I survived. Thankfully it was a principle I had the scripture memorised for. 

So we are taking our PDay on Saturday this week because we are going to Wicked! And we can only go to the matinee and there is only a matinee on Saturdays. But just so everyone doesnt think I'm being apostate: we are allowed to go to one show once in our mission. Our options are The Lion King or Wicked. I haven't seen Lion King before, but I just really love Wicked ok? Sister Hymas hasn't seen it yet, so I'm excited for her to see it.  We woke up at 5am this morning (uugggghhhh) and were first in line at the theatre at 6am. The ticket office opened at 10am. We got front row centre tickets for £29. Seriously. Like the very front row and the very centre. AAAAAAAND the girl that plays Glinda is an active member of the YSA ward here. And so she is taking us all backstage afterwards. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!! Holy cow this is going to be the coolest thing ever. 

Well, we are having PDay again in like 2 days, so there will not be much to write next time. But I better have a bunch of emails in my inbox by Monday so I have something to respond to!

No comments:

Post a Comment